Self Esteem and Being You: Teen Life Confidential by Anita Naik EditAvailable
Format(s): Teen Non Fiction Hardcover.
Are you scared to take risks in case you make a fool of yourself?
Do you need other people's approval?
If someone likes you do you think there must be something wrong with them?
Do you hate your body?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, this essential guide will help you to turn your opinions around. With loads of hints and tips on how to think positively about your friendships, your family, your body and your life. Overall, boosting your self-esteem and encourage you to believe in who and what you are.
“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are” – Kurt Cobain. - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/k/kurt_cobain.html
1. Diva by Carrie Duffy.
2. The Glamorous Girls Book: Be Confident. Be Fabulous. Be Georgeous by Sally Jeffrie and Veena Bhairo-Smith
3. The Sister hood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares
This title is also available as an audio book CD, audio book mp3, playaway (portable Mp3 device), and DVD.
Quotes about Self-Esteem
These inspiring quotes about self-esteem will help improve your self-image to raise and build your self-esteem. http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/self-esteem
Youth beyond blue
Advice and treatment options for those suffering from depresion and anxiety.
Girl V the World: It's Not Me It's You by Thalia Kalkipsakis Edit
Available Format(s): Ebook, novel
Ever felt like it’s bad luck to be thirteen?
It definitely sucks, your not a kid, but ever feel like your parents treat you as one? No-one escapes being thirteen unscathed - not even the best looking, most popular people with straight white teeth.
The best you can do is be true to yourself, even when everything's changing. When did boys stop being friends and start being boyfriends? Why are all the girls in her year shaving their legs and slopping goop on their faces? And since when did her big sister start keeping secrets about her love life?
“Girl v the World is a funny and inspiring series about thirteen-year-old girls taking on the world”. – iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/girl-v-world-its-not-me-its/id544213456?mt=11
If you can relate to this then Girl V World: It’s not me It’s you is definitely for you. Because you've definitely got to be strong to take on Thirteen!
1. Girl V World Titles: available as e book
1.1. Waiting for it
1.2. I heart you: Archie de Souza
1.3. Things I don’t know
1.5. How to boost your life
1.6. Holy Crushamoly
1.7. Sophie Bennett saves the Planet
2. Youth Central
Information and advice on issues like jobs, study, travel, money and events in your local area - wherever you live in Victoria - whilst offering opportunities for participation.
Cybersmart is a national cybersafety and cybersecurity education program managed by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), as part of the Australian Government's commitment to cybersafety. http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/Teens.aspx
Peach Girl by Miwa Ueda Edit
Available Format(s): Anime Series (DVD) based on Peach Girl Graphic Novel series by Miwa Ueda.
Do you spend time re making yourself? Or
Do you spend time being the Strong Girl you were meant to be?
If you answered a silent yes to the first then Peach Girl is perfect for your night in, in front of the TV of course! Peach Girl is about an average high school, Momo who is stereotyped by her ignorant classmates and are forced to endure rumors about being an "easy girl" who has had many sexual relationships or called a beach bunny because of her tanned skin, or is it because they she is on the swim team? She likes a boy, Toji, who she heard only likes non-tanned girls. This causes her to question who she is and have low self esteem. She spends a lot of time trying to remake herself into the girl she believes he wants. However, she has a friend, Sae, who likes to go behind Momo's back and make her life terrible, mostly by trying to take Toji away from her. All the while there's another boy, Kairi, who is in love with Momo.
‘A high school drama centered on character Momo Adachi, her love life, friendships and rivalries’. – Facebook https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=108064542554464
More Like this:
1. Kare kano Graphic novel series volumes 1 –21 also available as anime dvd series
2. Peach Girl Series vol 1 –18 also available as anime dvd series
Useful Apps: Available on iTunes and Google Play
1. Manga Rock Manga Reader
Girlfriend Magazine Edit
Available Format(s): Hardcopy or emagazine
An all Australian teen girl's mag
Focus's on positive stories, hot fashion and beauty advice, entertainment gossip, boys and boy advice and the stories that matter most to you.
The website also has lots of hints and tips from being confident to the business of beauty.
Can you take the Confidence challenge? Further reading
1. Dolly Magazine
2. Girlpower Magazine
3. Frankie Magazine
1. Zinio Magazine
The Host by Stephanie Meyer Edit
The Host DVD Also available as Novel in English, Spanish and Chinese language formats, large print, eaudiobook, and Bluray dvd,
“Do you pity them?” Melanie Stryder
Written by Stephanie Meyer (Twilight Saga), comes a daring and romantic thriller. When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over humans’ bodies and seeming to erase their minds, Melanie Stryder risks it all to protect the people she cares about the most, proving that love can conquer all in this dangerous new world.
The Host is a passionate and powerful epic love story perfect for any girl looking to overcome fear and become a strong leader of resilience.
1.Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare
One click digital
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Edit
Available Format(s): Audio CD, novel in English and Chinese language, largeprint, audio playaway, DVD, e book, & Applications.
“May the odds be ever in your favour” – Effie Trinket
Have you ever had that feeling that the world isn’t quite fair?
That you are always told what to do and where to go?
Follow Katniss of District 12 of Panem, a futuristic Dystopia built on top of North American ruins. As punishment for a past rebellion against the Capitol, in which a 13th district was destroyed, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected by an annual lottery to participate in the Hunger Games, an event in which the participants (or “tributes”) must fight to the death in an outdoor arena controlled by the Capitol, until only one individual remains. An action packed story about the search for freedom, love, work, poverty and the power of human resilience.
Other titles in the Hunger Games series
1. Jennifer Lawrence : star of The hunger games / by Katherine Krohn.
2. Story of a Girl – novel by Sara Zarr
3. Pitch Dark
A site for those readers who prefer something darker, more mysterious, and definitely...more dangerous. http://www.pitchdark.com
Available on iTunes and Google Play
1. Overdrive- e book platform
Search ‘Hunger Games’
2. Hunger Games: Girl on Fire
3. Ultimate Trivia: Hunger Games
4. The Hunger Games Metamenus Cliff Notes Study Guides
5. The Hunger Games Website
How Beautiful the Ordinary:Twelve stories of identity edited by Michael Cart Edit
‘Twelve stories – alike only in the wonderful variety of their subjects, styles, and structures – that dramatically demonstrate that lesbien, gay, and transgender lives are extraordinary, yes, but also ordinary.' - Michael Cart
A girl thought to be a boy steals her sister's skirt, while a boy thought to be a girl refuses to wear a cornflower blue dress. Composed between the past and the future are the stories of the present, the NOW, and presented in nontraditional narratives such as short stories, letters, and brief graphics, tales of anticipation and regret, eagerness and confusion present distinctively modern views of love, sexuality, and gender identification.
Together, they reflect the vibrant possibilities available for young people learning to love others and themselves in today's diverse qualities and quickly changing world Written by 12 award-winning young adult authors.
1. Beath by Tim Winton, read by Dan Wyllie (available in playaway and eaudiobook)
2.The Vanishing Moment by Margaret Wild (avaiable in novel and ebook format)
3. Butter by Erin Lange (available in novel format)
Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend by Louise Rozett Edit
Novel also available as ebook
'Instead of closing the door to get away from the mirror like I usually do, I stand there and take a good look.
It's weird. I'm disappointed when I look in the mirror but it's not because I don't like what I see. I mean, I don't, but that's not what bugs me. What bugs me is that what I see in the mirror doesn't match what I see in my head. In my head, I'm prettier than I am in real life, so when I look in the mirror and see what I see, I feel let down. And also a little crazy.
Where did I get that image in my head if not from the mirror?' Page 148
Sometimes we all need a little change.
If there is one thing Rose Zarelli has learnt from her experiences, is that if you want something done, you need to do it yourself. Hence, her brilliant plan to be 'Rose 2.0' for her sophomore year.
She had insecurities, and she doubted herself, and she was utterly furious at her parents. What teen has never thought that before? When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.
‘If your not true to yourself, why should anyone else be?’- cover
1. Confessions - Louise Rozett
2. Sex, Snogs, Dates and Mates: Teen Life Confidential by Anita Naik
3.What Happened Next by Colleen Clayton
Girls Stuff your full-on guide to the teen years by Kaz Cooke Edit
Girls Stuff your full-on guide to the teen years - Kaz Cooke
With more than 600 pages and heaps of cartoons, Girl Stuff has everything girls need to know about: friends, body changes, shopping, clothes, make-up, pimples (arrghh), sizes, hair, earning money, guys, embarrassment, what to eat, moods, smoking, why diets suck, handling love and heartbreak, exercise, school stress, sex, beating bullies and mean girls, drugs, drinking, how to find new friends, cheering up, how to get on with your family, and confidence.
Each chapter includes facts, hints, inspiring lists, hundreds of quotes from real girls, and details for over 350 websites, books and other information. This completely revised edition, written in extensive consultation with more than 70 medical and practical experts, provides the most up-to-date and useful information possible.
“Girl Stuff has to be the best informational book I have read. It helped me to understand the teen years that I was learning about at school. My school now has a copy. I love the book and would read it over and over and over again. THIS BOOK ROCKS!!!!!!!!” - Megan, 14
1. Periods, Zits and other Bits: Teen Life Confidential by Charlotte Owen
2. The Green Teen Cookbook / edited by Laurane Marchive ; photographs by Sarah Eisenfisz ; illustrations by Dominic McInnes.
3. Catherine Saxelby's complete Food and Nutrition Companion: the ultimate A-Z guide
available as ebook
1. Livestrong.com-calorie tracker
2. Map my fitness also in series map my run, walk and ride
3. Daily Workouts free
1. My Diet Diary
2. Calorie counter
3. Map my fitness workout trainer
4. Period Tracker
The Originals by Cat Patrick Edit
Available Format(s): novel and ebook
This Book has enough romance and just enough face paced action to keep you and your girlfriends hooked to the very end.
Perfect for your Girls night in or a chance to dip into that 'secret' chocolate drawer.
To the outside world, Elizabeth Best is a model student. She's a cheerleader, gets straight As and holds down an after-school job. But what the outside world doesn't know is that Elizabeth Best is actually three girls. Lizzie, Betsey and Ella are no ordinary triplets. Born as part of an illegal cloning program, the girls were forced into hiding when the program was uncovered. To avoid being taken away, the girls have lived as one girl ever since. Living a third of a life can suck. Imagine having to consult your sisters before choosing your clothes, or hairstyle, or boyfriend. So when Lizzie is forbidden from seeing Sean, the amazing guy from her English class, she and her sisters decide they've had enough. But for a chance at a full life, they'll have to risk everything they know.
1. Gossip Girl series novel by by Cecily Von Ziegesar also available as TV Series
2. New Girl TV Series
1. Miller, J. B. (2012). Toward a new psychology of women. Beacon Press. Retrieved from:http://books.google.com.au.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/books?hl=en&lr=&id=5X2O6I4zq7cC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=Toward+a+new+psychology+of+women&ots=ZoDFdzsE6t&sig=q6-U9STP0wO1bNnaETjm1nGl9kA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Toward%20a%20new%20psychology%20of%20women&f=false
1. 1. Naik, Anita. (2013). Self Esteem and Being YOU: Teen Life Confidential. London,Wayland.
2. 2. Kalkipsakis, Thalia. (2012). Girl V the World: It’s Not Me Its You. Retrieved from: http://ebooks.bigw.com.au/its-not-me-its-you-325539
3. 3. Ueda, Miwa. (2004). Peach Girl. Los Angeles, Calif. Tokyopop. (Original work published1998). Retrieved from: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/peach_girl/
4. 4. Girlfriend magazine. (2013). Sydney, N.S.W. Pacific Publishing. Retrieved from: http://www.girlfriend.com.au
5. 5. Niccol, Andrew., & Ronan, Saoirse. (Producers). (2013) The Host [Motion Picture]. [With Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons & Jake Abel]. Universal Sony Pictures. Home Entertainment Australia.
6. 6. Collins, Suzanne. (2008). The Hunger Games Audiobook. New York. Scholastic (Read by Carolyn McCormick).
7. 7. Cart, Michael. (Ed.). (2009). How Beautiful the Ordinary: Tweleve Stories of Identity. New York, HarperTeen.
8. 8. Rozett, Louise. (2013). Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend. Chatswood, N.S.W. Harlequin Teen.
9. 9. Cooke, Kaz. (2013). Girls Stuff your full-on guide to the teen years. Melbourne, Vic. Penguin Books.
10. 10. Patrick, Cat. (2013). The Originals. Richmond, Vic. Hardie Grant Egmont.